Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Shawn Chamberlin (presentation)

I wanted opinions on how I should present my works in the gallery/final critique. Just wanted to see if anyone had some original ideas for display the type of photography I do. To be honest, I've just been considering clean, uniform frames to present my work in, I don't see that is has to be printed all that huge, eventhough I did last critique, they turned out well, but they also weren't framed. I want to keep everything around the same scale as you'd typically see these photos in media Do you agree, disagree? I just feel that because these photographs wouldn't be printed any larger than 8 1/2 x 11 in their typical use, there wasn't much reason to go larger. Let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Paul Thulin-Jimenez said...

Shawn,

Typically when photojournalist present their work out of a magazine it is larger than 8.5 x 11. Look at the work of Salgado, Eugene miller, Lauren Greenfield, James Nachthwey. I would think that at the very least they should be 11 x 14. Print one out and lets look at it-- this is why we looked at prints last crit.

Shawn Chamberlin said...

Sounds good, i've looked at them in the past, but haven't seen any of their stuff in a gallery context so I haven't seen dimensions they print in. I agree with a little bit, just think they don't need to be as big as last semester.

Shawn Chamberlin said...

Also, how many prints do you think I should have for the final critique? I'll bring in somewhere around 4-5 for the panel review, but I know only 2 will get into the gallery, just want to be prepared for the critiques.

Shawn Chamberlin said...

for finals, should they all be framed, or should matting be enough?

A. Montagna said...

I think you should print them larger than 8.5x11. As Paul said, most photojournalists usually at least do 11x14 or 11x17 outside of magazine use. Not huge, just slightly bigger than magazine standard.

And personally I think you should just stick with a simplistic framing method. No need to go over the top.