Thursday, April 17, 2008

Devon Johnson


Indian Village c. 500 b.c. -1620 a.d.


Free Black Settlement c. 1800

I went back and reshot some of the original images in this series, because the negatives did not have the optimum density for my printing process. I feel these are more successful than then initial photographs.

I would like to point out that these are the only two images so far in the series that deal exclusively with minority groups. I have tried very hard to identify construction sites on top of minority settlements, but so far have had little luck. It seems the vast majority of land that sites such as these were situated on have long since been developed. There is undoubtedly a racist nature to the zoning and planning ordinances in this State. For future work on this project, does anyone find my selection of types of sites problematic? Or should I not worry so much about it?

1 comment:

Emily Noechel said...

Im trying to visualize your other images in my head, and I dont remember you including anything that points directly to the date when the image was taken. I understand where you are trying to go with the minorities, but the construction equipment and buildings throw me of because they point directly to present day. This might not be an issue for you, but I just dont view them the same as the others.