Sunday, April 13, 2008

Meagan Pugh







Hey Guys, I decided to take my "home town" pictures series on as my final. These are some of my finalized images. What do you think? I am still going to add like 2 or 3.

This is my bio, just to give you an idea....

Bio

Thus far, my artistic career has been a montage of visual experiments consisting of various different mediums and subject matters, my strongest and best explored has been photography. Overall, my work has continuously leaned towards the portrayal of more urbanized environments. These places hold a history and portray the livelihoods of the people that have occupied them, almost, themselves, becoming living things with the ability to have character and change this character over time.

The work that I have currently been working on is somewhat of a photographic memorial of my childhood. Being that I strongly believe that it is the experiences in one’s life which makes them who they are and as a visual person, the place and therefore the aesthetic where I grew up has been very important to me. Thus, in my current work I am attempting to visually show my appreciation of this place. It is a place that is considered to be of little importance or ordinary to many. Yet, to me, this place is romantic and layered with memories.

Through the lighting, layering, and texture of this work I am reaching out to others in hope to engage and bring others into a world that they would otherwise pass by. My hope is for the viewer to grasp a romantic and almost magical quality from the work, coupled with a sense of loss and stillness that the passing of time can often provide.

2 comments:

Shawn Chamberlin said...

meagan, i think these are looking great, my favorite part has to be the colors. i've always been a fan of long exposure photographs, theres a lot of room for experimentation. i feel that the first photograph seems disconnected from the rest, it looks like its in a forest thats dark and gloomy, completely secluded from civilization. the rest of the photos tend to rely on structure and light. maybe if you had more of these types of photos to link them together, but as of now, i'd leave that one out. they look good though.

audra elaine said...

hi meagan,

i really enjoy this series of images and i do feel like this has amazing potential. i do agree with shawn, i think the first image is a little out of place. the other images have a strong sense of light and perspective, which draws the eye in a clear direction through the photograph. the colors are beautiful. great work!

audra