Tuesday, April 15, 2008

kathryn parker





My series “Boys are Pretty” is an exploration of female societal roles and what happens when men take these roles themselves. Women are depicted as caregivers and household laborers; often seen taking care of their children, in the kitchen, or stuck washing and mending. If women are not portrayed in these tasks than they are usually pictured as the ideal beauty or sexual desire.
More and more the idea of gender roles and sexual identity separate from their myths and both sexes transcend their instinct towards their own gender. My series pokes fun at the conservative reaction to this recent societal change. It questions the choice taken by man between a chosen identity and a biological one.


Overall I'm looking for feedback on presentation and overall aesthetic. Do the images go well together, do colors need to be changed, etc etc.

Also, as far as documentary images go- i need feedback on size. I don't usually see large images of this sort of subject matter but maybe I am mistaken?

2 comments:

Campbelljn said...

I was hoping with the bathroom one that it was going to be a bit more raunchy! The only thing that really bothers me about it however is the green tea bottle and his toes. I imagine him having those little toe separator things that you use to paint your toenails with. Just a small detail but sometimes it's the small details that help make the image.

As far as size goes, maybe doing 11x14? My reasoning behind that is so that when it's hung on the walls it's big enough to maybe grab someone's attention and small enough to make them come in close to observe it.

Drauna said...

It's interesting because both you and Shawn are working with photojournalism images, except that yours are pho-photojournalism, and his are real.
If you look at one of his posts, he also asks how photojournalist print their work, and Paul lists some artists that print larger than a standard size like 11 x 14.
I personally think you should go larger with your images. I know that you are trying to mimic a certain style, but there are many photojournalist who print their work for galleries at a decently large size.
I'd suggest 16 x 20?