Thursday, April 10, 2008

Rachel Albright

I, along with everyone else, have now become concerned with the presentation of my images. I have edited my polaroids down to about 12-14, and want to finalize it to 10. I've protected the originals with plastic sleeves for my portfolio. My biggest problem with the final presentation of them is that they are so small. I'm really worried that they will be extremely overpowered in the show, because most of the class will have 2 relatively large framed prints, and I will have 2 very tiny ones.
I really want to use pieces of wood from my dad's garage/woodshop to mount them on. I think that it speaks really well to the series and that the wood will look really great with the sort of "rustic" feel of the pictures. I found some great scraps that are perfect for me at about 10 x 10 inches. I'm really afraid to go any smaller, because like I said, I already think they will be overpowered, and I still want them to have a presence. At that size, I'm not sure whether to mount the actual polaroids, which would look great but be tiny, or make prints that are about 8 x 8. any suggestions??

2 comments:

devon said...

I think you should present the original Polaroid’s, and don’t worry about their modest size. Two of my all time favorite photographic series were smaller than or the same size as Polaroid’s, and in both cases the work had a huge presence because they force the viewer to get close. Look at the early work of Andre Kertesz. He presented contact prints from medium format and 35 mm negatives. Also check out the brownie work by William Christenberry. The work in that series was printed around 3”x3”. I think you would be doing your work a disservice to have larger prints made.

audra elaine said...

Hi Rachel,

I agree with Devon about presentation. Of course, we all want the work itself to relate to the presentation. I personally think that since your series and work represents intimate, family settings, the presentation should require the viewer to be intimate with it as well. I think the original Polaroids should be presented, and in no way will they be overpowered byt the rest of the show.

Audra