Thursday, April 3, 2008

Jessie Campbell/Critique Blog

Since last critique i've been continuing to build sets. I'm in the process of building three different ones right now; one a little more so than the others. The one that i'm focusing on right now is largely focused on the illustrated novel by Brom called "The Plucker". The set is going to resemble a little girls room (pink walls, toy chest,stuffed animals, etc). I've almost got the set completed and will be shooting on monday so i'll have images up soon from that.
With my images as a whole what i'm trying to focus on is building a set and coming up with a small storyline/character and letting the model act on that. I'm trying to keep myself from posing the models too much because I realize that it comes across in the photos and in this particular series I don't want that necessarily. I want the models to be a character and a part of the environment and not so much models posing.
In the first two images that i've completed there is definitely an organic quality for both, but I'm not necessarily going to continue that in all of the images. I don't know if that will be something that will bother the audience or not. What is going to tie all of the images together is the particular style in each shot and the overall aesthetic with the lighting and tones of colors. My style in general is to photograph beautiful things with grotesque undertones so of course I am continuing that in this series.
As far as presentation of the series, I want to find really ornate/antique frames. The pictures themselves i'll probably do 16x20's. I don't think they will work well small, but it's always a possibility. If anything i'd like to go even bigger, but a)of course I don't have a lot of money and b)it will be harder to find frames.
If anyone has any ideas of where to find frames or different frame ideas let me know! Anyways enough rambling, here are my images so far, plus an example of the kind of frames I want to use (except not oval shaped).

2 comments:

audra elaine said...

Hi Jessica,

I really like this series you have going; the juxtaposition between beauty and grotesqueness is apparent but also subtle. You represent this concept well through your color palate and tonal range throughout these two images. I like how you are experimenting with less posing with your models.. that works well in the first image posted here.

As far as frames and presentation go, I would start checking thrift stores now if you are into the antique looking idea. For printing sizes, 20x30s at elco color lab (online) they are $10 a piece, cheaper than 16x20s. Just something to consider.

Audra

Shawn Chamberlin said...

I am really pleased with the work you're creating this semester. The design of the sets is what makes the biggest different in your current work, i find myself constantly looking through the frame at smaller details in the atmosphere. Your previous work was too easy to grasp I felt, you look at the photograph, understand it, then move on. This holds my attention a lot longer. Your personality really show through with the style and feel of the sets, I look at these and know exactly who created them, which I find is very important, to establish artistic style the represents you. I'm very impressed with your progress this semester, keep it up Jessie.